Out Of The Wild: An Alaskan's Adventure To Find America

My name is John. I was born and raised in Alaska. I have been hearing how the American Dream is no longer possible for my generation; how the pursuit of a college education will leave my peers and me in crippling debt; and America is no longer the beacon of hope it once was. Too many of my generation believe what they are hearing. I am not going to surrender to such news.

I believe what made America great in the past can make it great again. I know many small business owners that are living their American Dream right now. I have heard these people talk about their dreams. They work harder than anyone I know every minute of every day. These are dreamers that act on their dreams. I want to chase my dream in the same way. My personal motto is, “Risk much, forgive much, and gain much”. I want to pursue a career in film. I want to chase my dream too.

I need to see more of this country to better understand my homeland. I want to meet the people who make this country work. Upon graduation from high school I am riding my bicycle 6,000 miles from Kodiak, Alaska to Key West, Florida to find my America. I am not going on this tour just to ride my bike. My plan is to document the people I meet that have put their dreams to work. I will interview them in their environment and interview the people they serve.

Using my bicycle, a tent, and a camera I will tell this story in a documentary I call “Finding My America”. I will begin in my hometown of Kodiak, Alaska on May 22, 2012. I am partnering with small businesses that will sponsor this trip. I am working with many Subway restaurant owners who are sponsoring me in exchange for a commercial I will make and post on the Internet.

When my trip is complete, I want to share what I learn with everyone. Look for the finished documentary in the late fall of 2012. The blog will serve as a behind the scenes update to chronicle my grand adventure. I am accepting financial support from anyone interested in inspiring my generation to embrace the hard work of bringing America back to a new era of greatness. I hope to tell the stories of the real American dream. I hope to raise enough money to pay for college without student loans. Help me tell this American story. Together we can be the difference.

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Crossing the Ohio River

This was filmed on Saturday, August 4, 2012. I crossed from Illinois into Kentucky on a ferry across the Ohio River. One of the ways to travel to my hometown is by ferry, as many of you know that have followed me from the beginning. But that ferry goes across the Gulf of Alaska, the open ocean of the North Pacific. This ferry is SO different! I love my America!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved your excitement crossing the Ohio River - hoping Kentucky is good to you. Keep up the good work!! Safe travels!!

Candi Rowe Giddens
Your Mom's ole (not old) schoolmate

Anonymous said...

P.S. I ate at a Subway yesterday. It's located at the Orlando Science Center. I love the BMT on wheat ;-)

Laura Metz said...

Hey John! It is Laura down here in Orlando :) We are 2 miles from college and 2.5 miles from Subway! Madalyn's favorite is pepperoni and provolone on wheat. Looking forward to meeting you!